Hardgoods Manufacturing Engineer
Location: Burlington, Vermont, United States
Requisition Number: 383
Position Title: Manufacturing Engineer
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
As our Manufacturing Engineer, you will ensure that Burton’s product specifications are communicated clearly to Burton’s suppliers and will oversee the industrialization of the products from prototypes through the completion of Sale Samples. Your primary responsibility will be overseeing the commercialization of our Bindings product line, though will regularly be asked to assist with other product categories. You will work closely with the design engineers to create tooling that will consistently produce accurate parts to achieve our yearly production goals. In addition, you will work with design engineers and suppliers to explore new materials and processes on a yearly basis.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
What You Get to Do:
Commercialization and Development
- Effectively communicate tooling design specifications, and manufacturing and processing requirements to all factories through regular video conferencing, email and on-site visits.
- Work closely with the Burton Team and our suppliers to ensure that product development activities are completed on schedule and that desired outcomes are achieved.
- Provide manufacturing expertise and experience to assist suppliers and the Burton Engineering team to ensure that all products are designed with manufacturability in mind. This will include being actively involved in the DFMEA and PFMEA process and ensuring manufacturing feasibility.
- Work with suppliers and Burton’s manufacturing engineers to identify, source, and validate new manufacturing processes, materials, finishing techniques, and suppliers targeting better sustainability (improved environmental footprint) higher quality, better performance, increased manufacturing flexibility, improved cosmetics, shorter lead times, and lower costs.
- Monitor and report on the status of new tooling and revisions, keeping tooling development on schedule.
- Review quotations for tooling, components, and final product to ensure competitive pricing from the suppliers and assist the Hardgoods team in refining specifications to achieve target gross margins at each price point.
- Work with Senior Director of Commercialization on the pricing analysis and price negotiations of all raw materials. This includes providing recommendations on new materials or material swaps to achieve pricing targets while at the same time meeting company sustainability goals.
- Work with Developers to update and maintain material databases and development Calendars within the Burton PLM system.
- Maintain project schedules and communication with Burton Project Management on all assigned development projects.
- Provide manufacturing assistance to factories to streamline the production and assembly process and assist the Burton Quality team with troubleshooting of manufacturing or quality issues.
Quality Assurance (shared responsibility)
- Work with Burton’s Supply Chain Team to ensure that Burton’s suppliers are performing QA testing in accordance with the procedures and at the frequencies specified in Burton’s Quality Specifications.
- Work with Burton’s Supply Chain Team to ensure that appropriate actions are taken when non-conformities are identified.
- Work with Suppliers and Burton’s Supply Chain Team to resolve all non-conformities and manufacturing issues.
- This position cooperates with development coordinators who are based at the production/assembly locations in Asia and are managed by the Burton Supply Chain team.
- Other duties may be assigned as appropriate.
What You'll Bring to The Team:
- Relevant work experience
- A demonstrated ability to manage detailed projects ensuring on-time delivery and the highest level of quality
- Knowledge of and experience with injection molding, toolmaking, and metal fabrication
- Relevant education (a Bachelor’s degree in a related Engineering field) is preferred
- The ability to speak and communicate in Mandarin is a plus
- Experience with CAD programs is a plus
- A willingness and ability to work extensively with overseas resources and Asia factory personnel. 5-10% of overseas travel is expected.
Community / Marketing Title: Hardgoods Manufacturing Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.