Multiple Locations: Burlington, Vermont, United States • United States
Requisition Number: 502
Position Title: Executive Director of Chill
Why does Chill exist?
Chill exists to ensure youth have the skills and experiences to become mindful, independent, and resilient individuals who are able to take on new challenges and welcome growth opportunities; to bridge the boardsport and outdoor opportunity gap and foster a sense of belonging within a cool, authentic, and alternative culture; and to create inclusive space and meaningful experiences for all youth, while being mindful of races, sexual orientations, gender identity, socio-economic backgrounds, and other intersecting identities.
How does Chill achieve this?
Revolving around a core value-driven curriculum, Chill programs consist of experiential learning activities, reflection, and discussion, paired with board sport lessons. Chill’s six core values (Respect, Courage, Patience, Persistence, Responsibility, Pride) provide youth with a foundation and framework for learning and growth, supported and enhanced through on-board progression and adult mentorship. Chill removes all barriers to accessing boardsports by providing participants with everything they need to get after it, at absolutely no cost. New skills gained through boardsport progression and core-value exploration are then directly applied to everyday life, challenging youth to step out of their comfort zone – both on and off their board.
Executive Director Job Description:
As the Executive Director, you will be the chief executive for all Chill sites and programs globally, currently in 10 countries, 24 cities, and undergoing a global expansion. You will be responsible for a complex, multi-national non-profit organization that has grown rapidly over the past five years and continues to grow into its full potential. Chill has been built to take advantage of opportunities as they arise while being flexible and adaptable to whatever challenges present themselves. This is a unique role at a unique global organization.
This position is full-time year-round. Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington. If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). The ED is eligible for a comprehensive benefits package (provided through Chill’s relationship with Burton) that includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short and long term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
Global Scope of Responsibilities
- Provide inspiring leadership and challenge the Chill Foundation team to exceed its goals. This includes:
- Ensure ongoing excellence in programming and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, and communications; recommend to the Board of Directors timelines and resources needed to achieve Chill’s mission and strategic goals.
- Work closely with the Board Chair to maintain and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio member of each committee of the Board, attending meetings as prioritized by the Board Chair.
- Ensure accountability systems are in place that effectively track the effectiveness of Chill’s programs and investments, including both quantifiable and qualitative measures/results.
- Work closely with the Board Treasurer and Director of Finance to maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization, including operating within budgetary guidelines established by the Board of Directors.
- Continue to nurture and cultivate Chill’s progressive organizational culture.
- Supervise and collaborate with staff, volunteers and agency partners.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Ensure organizational health through fundraising and communications, to include:
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors and the Vice President of Marketing and Development, set and meet aggressive annual fundraising goal. Secure financial support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and government funding sources to support Chill’s mission and strategic goals.
- Establish, maintain, and update Chill communications and social media presence.
- Serve as an ambassador for and champion of Chill’s mission, programs and services at press conferences, media interviews, community meetings and events related to our mission and with our agency, industry and community partners.
- Chill’s programs are built on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and it is the ED’s responsibility to ensure that Chill’s commitment to DEI is part of every facet of Chill’s work, both externally and internally. The ED will ensure that Chill is a leader in DEI best practices with measurable and impactful results achieved and communicated.
- Lead and oversee all organizational operations globally, including finance and operations, people and culture, marketing, development, partnerships, and evaluation.
- Create, in cooperation with Chill team members and Chill board members, strategic and operational plans for Chill programs. Provide oversight of and coordination with Chill’s affiliate programs in international locations including Asia and Europe. Execute plans, evaluate results, and drive continuous improvement.
- Directly manage Chill Senior Leadership Team members including heads of Finance/Operations, Programs, Marketing/Development, Partnerships/Risk Management. Provide overall leadership to entire Chill organization (total of ~35 employees).
- Build and lead an effective team dedicated to fulfilling Chill’s mission through highly successful program implementation, community engagement, and fundraising targets.
- Directly manage Chill’s relationship and collaboration with Burton to including working directly with Burton co-founder/owner and Board Chair Donna Carpenter, as well as with Burton departments/teams including Global Marketing, Strategy & Insights, People & Culture, and others as needed.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- At least 10 years of senior non-profit management experience in a multi-site, multi-state (multi-national preferred but not required) environment; track record of effectively leading a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships and recruit new members.
- Past success leading, managing, and mentoring team members in geographically diverse locations.
- Relevant education, training, or experience in organizational leadership, social work, psychology, education, recreation, adventure learning, youth program facilitation or similar field.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion experience: A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant and/or lived experience relating to justice, equity, diversity and/or inclusion. Global mobility, or experience with diversity both in and outside of the United States is necessary. We are open to the experience you bring whether it’s lived, educational or research based.
- Organized and self-motivated. Proven ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and prioritize to meet goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, including setting and achieving strategic objectives.
- Strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Proven development/fundraising experience including working with large donors, corporate outreach, institutional giving, grant funding, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Ability to gain introductory boardsport skills (Chill will provide instruction/equipment for learning new skills/sports, basic equipment training, and progression opportunities for sport specific certifications) to participate in/model Chill’s core programs.
- Physical requirements: This is an office-based position with corresponding physical requirements (sitting/standing in one place for long periods of time), and also requires ability to participate in (and/or observe) a range of active/outdoor boardsports in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Regular travel, both domestic and international is expected/required.
Location: Our headquarters is based in Burlington, VT however our staff is remote. We are open to applicants working from wherever they may reside within the United States.
Please submit an application with resume and cover letter on why you want to work for Chill.
Chill is committed to building an inclusive team, and strongly encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply. We will prioritize filling this position with qualified candidates who reflect our youth through lived experience as someone from a marginalized community or with diverse and intersecting identities, including race, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, and other intersecting identities.
Community / Marketing Title: Executive Director
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.