Director of Environmental & Social Impact
Multiple Locations: Burlington, Vermont, United States • United States
Requisition Number: 533
Position Title: Environmental Impact Manager
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Learn more about Burton’s sustainability initiatives at https://www.burton.com/sustainability
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
The Director of Environmental & Social Impact leads a team in developing innovative and progressive strategy, establishing management systems, and implementing key reporting and communications activities in order to advance social and environmental responsibility throughout Burton, our supply chain, and our local communities. The ideal candidate is business savvy, takes a holistic perspective, and is able to become a trusted advisor and thought leader for the company. This person proactively builds highly collaborative partnerships with stakeholders inside and outside the company across areas including product development, sourcing, operations, finance, legal, and marketing. This position reports to the SVP of Global Strategy and Insights.
What You Get to Do:
- Drive companywide progress toward 2025 environmental and social impact goals and research and recommend goals and strategy for beyond 2025 through materiality assessments and market and stakeholder research.
- Lead key ongoing sustainability initiatives including purpose-driven philanthropy, fair labor, chemicals management, preferred materials, traceability, carbon, resource and waste reduction, circular economy, social responsibility, life cycles assessment (LCA), end of life, packaging optimization, goals tracking, benchmarking, communications and marketing, and policy advocacy.
- Advance the social responsibility program by developing and implementing procedures to meet all KPIs for Fair Labor Association accreditation, establishing regular country risk review, increasing cross-brand collaboration, implementing livable wage targets and influencing multi-stakeholder initiatives such as the Higg, FFC, SLCP, and FLA.
- Establish a sustainability communications strategy and guidelines in collaboration with Marketing and Customer Insights. Develop seasonal talking points for consistent messaging across marketing and PR channels. Review on-product and promotional content for accuracy of claims and sustainability trademark use.
- Ensure Burton is meeting and exceeding benchmarks and assessments, including leading our B Corp recertification and broadened Higg implementation.
- Lead cross-functional business evolution projects by identifying opportunities for improvements and innovation and then shaping strategy to realize them by employing data-driven decision-making.
- Manage external partnerships including bluesign, the Ceres BICEP Network, and Protect Our Winters.
- Ensure that team projects remain on task and timeline, enabling delivery of impactful initiatives.
- Develop reports, presentations, and proposals by creating and maintaining KPIs and other statistics. Continuously monitor and report program status proactively to key internal stakeholders.
- Represent Burton in interviews and at conferences and other targeted thought leadership events.
- Build sustainability culture by engaging widely with internal departments at both global and regional levels, sponsoring the EPIC group (employee volunteer environmental committee), and authoring periodic company-wide communications.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- 5+ years of strong business experience in an environmental and social impact related role, preferably including program management, global supply chains, and sustainability leadership in a related industry.
- Master of Business Administration or other relevant graduate degree
- Self-starter; highly motivated and able to work independently
- Strategic thinker and exceptional problem-solver with a bias for action
- Passionate about people, planet and purpose-driven business
- Excellent analytical skills with an objective perspective and tendency to challenge the status quo
- Highly organized with an ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills including relating well and showing respect and consideration for others
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize information, educate, and influence others toward action
- Confident presenter and proficient communicator, verbally and in writing (web, telephone, in-person)
- Strong executive presence and ability to drive effective results working with senior leadership and stakeholders, trusted to manage highly confidential information
- Working knowledge of industry standards including the Higg Index, bluesign®, and certifications
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including a strong command of Excel
- Experience working in an international setting preferred
- Solid knowledge of government advocacy, competitors' strategies and key market trends
- Flexible with working hours to accommodate international phone meetings
- Able to travel by road, train, and plane domestically and internationally up to 25%
Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired to generally be available during eastern time zone hours and travel to Burton regularly.
Community / Marketing Title: Director of Environmental & Social Impact
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.