Global Product Line Merchandiser
Location: United States
Requisition Number: 567
Position Title: Global Merchandising Specialist
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
Merchandising is the way of the world for retail and consumer brands. For the merchandising team at Burton, everything begins and ends with the customer. The Merchandising team understands our business goals, regional needs, customer behavior, market trends, the competitive landscape and uses it to determine what products we want to offer, how we plan to leverage these to hit our financial goals and how they ultimately show up during a customer’s experience with the brand.
As a Global Product Line Merchandiser, you will be responsible for setting our global product line strategy. This requires a high level of customer, market, and product knowledge, as well as collaborative and cross functional leadership throughout the organization. You will be responsible for synthesizing our organizational goals, building product lines that deliver on our strategies, and ensuring that when we show up to our consumer our strategies deliver on our goals. You must have the ability to sell and communicate your ideas across the organization. Product Merchants are often at the eye of the storm, one foot in a dynamic marketplace where things are constantly changing and another inside the company managing a detailed and collaborative product creation process.
The primary focus of this role is within our Softgoods and Apparel categories, so strong Softgoods experience is preferred but other robust merchandising experience is also highly encouraged.
What You Get to Do:
Know the Customer: Foster a deep understanding of the Burton Customer through direct collaboration with our insights team, our available research and direct customer interaction. You must also understand the regional nuances of our customer’s needs. Through market and trend research, you must gain a deep understanding of the globally relevant competitors and retail landscape. Through Athletes, Ambassadors and Customers you will get direct qualitative feedback. And through deep dives into our internal analytics and direct channels you will analyze and assess our category performance, trends, and opportunities for growth.
Set the Strategy: The Product Line Merchandiser is ultimately responsible for our category strategy and corresponding business results. You will build the multi-seasonal category strategy, seasonal line plan, plan for product lifecycle management and style/SKU efficiency. This strategy will be rooted in data, consumer insights and best-in-class strategy techniques. You will create product strategy briefs, identify seasonal creative needs and work to establish long term product pipeline roadmaps. You will be looked to for strategic / category direction and guidance from initial concepts to advanced development to how it eventually shows up in market.
Partner to bring the strategy to life: As the architect of the product strategy your leadership will drive product strategy communication across our global and local partners. You will be responsible for ensuring that our strategies are represented throughout each phase of the process, from strategy creation to global and regional presentations, financial planning, roundups, guidebooks, and all other process collateral.
Evaluate & measure impacts and leverage hindsight learnings for subsequent product strategies: A key part of this role is the ability to evaluate and learn from our results. As we continue to evolve our lines and our approaches you will play a critical role in understanding our performance, analyzing how it can shape future strategies and deploying it.
What You'll Bring to The Team:
- 1-5 years of Product Line Merchandising, Product management, Product Development, or similar experience in a multi-channel, fast paced Global retailer with vertical sales a must.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent, strong business and analytical disciplines are preferred.
- A strong grasp of Burton’s organizational strategies, markets and products are needed to help ensure that our merchandising processes amplify our business and reduce complexity.
- Analytical mindset and ability to synthesize complex information, connect ideas with data, and present in a digestible and easy to understand format.
- Ability to analyze large amounts of data to assess and understand category performance and support strategic direction.
- Proactive, adaptable, and comfortable managing shifting timelines and priorities.
- Strong curiosity in tackling complex business problems; dives deeply into the data, relentlessly pursues what it means, and how these insights drive decision making.
- Strategic, big picture, quick thinker, and intellectually curious problem solver with proven experience in establishing thought leadership, vision and goals.
- Trusted partner - possesses the technical expertise, communication skills and good judgement to provide an objective and independent point of view on broader business issues.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, and effectively manage and meet multiple, simultaneous deadlines with minimum assistance.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build trusted relationships with all levels within and outside of the organization.
Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired to spend ~one week/month at Burton’s HQ in Burlington, and when not in Burlington to generally be available during eastern time zone hours.
Community / Marketing Title: Global Product Line Merchandiser
EEO Employer Verbiage:
The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.