Materials Innovation Lead
Location: Burlington, Vermont, United States
Requisition Number: 580
Position Title: Sr. Materials Developer
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the mountains. We fight for the future of our sport, people and planet and we try to have as much fun as possible while doing it! Bringing people together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences is how we ride together every day.
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
Our Materials Innovation Lead will pro-actively provide, source and develop materials, working directly with leaders in Design, Product Development and Merchandising, to support the creative material direction and enable commercial success. Will drive material concept innovation in the respective business focused areas through successful leadership alignment and resource procurement. Ensure availability and rationalization of material portfolio according to calendar timelines, cost targets, sourcing and sustainability policy and strategy, meeting our quality standards and driving material efficiencies.
What You Get to Do:
- Initiate and monitor new material concept developments working with Suppliers, Sourcing, Validation teams, bringing concept to adoption stage with success for commercial viability.
- In conjunction with design team, provide latest information on new material capabilities and trends from relevant fairs, supplier meetings, material shows and competitor analysis across textile and trim businesses.
- Initiate and lead appropriate materials white space design thinking brainstorms with cross functional partners and athletes.
- Coordinate new material concepts for field validation trials to ensure quality and performance suitability of materials for intended end use.
- Develop robust annual material sourcing strategy in partnership with Supply team.
- Oversee the fabric and trim rationalization process for all managed areas, including full package (nominated and non-nominated) in collaboration with Supply team
- Align with business partners on seasonal development metrics, evaluating KPI’s and upcoming company initiatives, driving opportunities for consolidation and efficiencies, reducing areas of re-work and redundancies.
- Collaborate with business partners on Sustainability initiatives and GTM product launches.
- Lead initial fabric and trim material negotiations with mills in partnership with Asia sourcing team prior to line adoption.
- Build and maintain material library as resource for Design and Product Development.
- Work closely with materials commercialization team to ensure tech transfer commercial success.
- Work with a variety of fabrics and trims across Softgoods products such as outerwear, apparel, luggage, accessories, and more.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- Extensive experience leading materials development & R&D managing fabric and trim development.
- Expertise in both Knits and Wovens fabric constructions required, with seamless and yarn sourcing a plus.
- Expertise in both technical (laminated/coated) and non-technical fabrics preferred.
- Expertise in apparel lifestyle textiles and wash methods a plus.
- Color and Print development experience and understanding needed.
- Knowledge of fabric construction standards, test standards, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience with T3 fiber and chemical supply chains a plus.
- Working knowledge and background in sustainability sourcing including Bluesign, GOTS, RWS, GRS, LWG.
- Experience with trims like molded plastics, zippers, snaps, elastics, adhesives a plus
- Working knowledge of garment manufacturing process.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency with MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook, Illustrator a plus.
- Ability to manage change and shift priorities based on evolving business requirements.
- Dynamic analytical, problem solving and project management abilities with proven systems knowledge and expertise.
- Extremely strong customer service orientation and the ability to multi-task; with the desire to work in a very fast paced environment and an ability to embrace last minute changes.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills; especially when it comes to working directly with senior level directors.
- Excellent discretion, judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Bachelor’s degree in Textiles or Fashion, Product Development, Sourcing, Supply Chain preferred.
Community / Marketing Title: Materials Innovation Lead
EEO Employer Verbiage:
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.