Materials Developer I- Softgoods Innovation
Location: Burlington, Vermont, United States
Requisition Number: 582
Position Title: Materials Developer I
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
Our Materials Developer will assist the Softgoods Innovation Team to drive material validation for their product line from initial textile and trim concepts to final specifications for adoption into Commercialization for our wholesale and direct channels. Executing inline materials (fabric/trim) to be in compliance with sourcing and sustainability strategies, supply chain, timelines, quality, price and functionality.
What You Get to Do:
- Work closely Softgoods Innovation and Commercialization teams on key material projects and deliverables.
- Update and maintain our textile and trim database (PLM) and spec sheets with precise attention to detail.
- Coordinate material validation samples for field testing working in partnership with Validation Mgr.
- In partnership with Asia sourcing team, develop working relationships with all mill partners to source materials, track developments, request test reports, manage deliveries and meet timelines for projects.
- Provide technical material expertise to our internal teams for material and trim selection and development
- Build and manage material library as resource for Design and Product Development seasonally.
- Collaborate and communicate with cross-functional teams such as our creative, product development, merchandising, and sustainability partners.
- Ensure material and trim quality and testing information meets our standards and is accurate.
- Learn, understand, and drive our timeline of materials from initial concept to final bulk production
- Accountable for ensuring successful tech transfer of validated materials to Commercialization team.
- Work with a variety of fabrics and trims across Softgoods products such as outerwear, apparel, luggage, accessories, and more.
What You'll Bring to The Team:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Textile Science, Business Management, Industrial Design or Fashion Design plus a minimum of 2 years of product development experience is a plus.
- An understanding of textiles and trims and product life cycle, preferably in the action sports business.
- Expertise in both technical (laminated/coated) and non-technical fabrics preferred
- Expertise in apparel lifestyle textiles and wash methods a plus.
- Color and Print development experience preferred.
- Knowledge of fabric construction, test standards and manufacturing methods
- Experience with trims like molded plastics, zippers, snaps, elastics, adhesives a plus
- Comfortable with technology; ability to learn and use new/advanced technology
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Expert knowledge and proficiency with MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to manage change and shift priorities based on evolving business requirements
- Flexibility with regards to job responsibilities
- Extremely strong customer service orientation and the ability to multi-task; with the desire to work in a very fast paced environment and an ability embrace last minute changes
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills; especially working with different cross functional teams & personalities
Community / Marketing Title: Materials Developer I- Softgoods Innovation
EEO Employer Verbiage:
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.