Customer Journey & Experience Insights Lead
Multiple Locations: Burlington, VT, USA • United States
Requisition Number: 711
Position Title: Customer Insights Manager
The Customer Journey & Experience Insights lead will use consumer research (both qualitative and quantitative) to understand how and why people connect with the Burton brand throughout their journey. This role will understand areas of excellence and places for improvement at key touchpoints within the Burton target consumer’s journey (e.g., awareness, consideration, conversion, digital and brick and mortar shopping, events). They will present business recommendations in order to improve Burton’s end-to-end consumer experience, solve identified issues, and to achieve our vision to be a customer-centric, digital first retailer of the future.
They will act as a trusted advisor to the business, owning and delivering multiple end-to-end research studies globally each year across a variety of brand initiatives and stakeholder groups. In addition, the person in this role will partner with our strategy team to influence our strategic roadmap and will continuously innovate and build new processes and research methodologies in an effort to better serve our consumers.
The candidate must have excellent hands-on qualitative research experience in a number of research methodologies and specific experience generating and applying insights within a direct to consumer and/or retail environment. In particular, this candidate must be an expert in ethnographic/observational methods, especially as deployed to understand consumer behavior within retail brand experiences. Candidates must also possess a natural curiosity for consumer behavior and a desire to affect change on behalf of the consumer. They must also have experience managing and influencing senior stakeholders, strong project management and analytical skills, as well as a track record of delivering projects in complex and ambiguous environments. Experience with a direct to consumer, digital retailer is preferred.
What You’ll Get To Do:
- Build upon Burton’s global consumer segmentation by developing a holistic journey map for Burton’s target consumer, identifying and prioritizing changes needed to improve and deepen our consumer’s experience.
- Plan, scope and lead customer research studies, uncovering consumer needs to identify areas that can drive impactful customer experience enhancements across Burton consumer experiences.
- Build strong relationships with business partners to understand their challenges and priorities, define research roadmap, and drive actions through insight delivery.
- Work cross-functionally with peers/colleagues and other members of the Strategy & Insights team to align on roadmaps, insights, and prioritizing needed brand improvements.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- Expertise in ethnographic/observational consumer research – ability to identify consumer needs, pain points, and other behaviors by watching, not necessarily asking.
- Minimum 5+ years professional experience leading consumer research projects in retail or consumer goods.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with all aspects of qualitative research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting), using a range of techniques (e.g. depth interviews, focus groups, online communities, diary studies and usability research)
- Good business judgment and expert level ability to translate consumer insights to clear, actionable business recommendations, particularly within a direct to consumer retail environment.
- Excellent data and insight visualization skills; able to create compelling visuals and use innovative ways of communicating learnings from research to a highly creative organization.
- Graduate degree in Sociology, Human Factors, HCDE, Cognitive Psychology or similar.
- Self-starter who possesses flexibility to work in a fast-changing environment and ambiguous situations
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Ability to meet ambitious deadlines and deliver high-quality work on schedule, including quickly turning around study plans and reports
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail
Burton’s benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, free lessons, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment, and many more...
Our HQ is based in Burlington, Vermont. We will offer relocation assistance to any candidate who is hired if they are able to move to Burlington.
If living in Burlington is not an option, we are absolutely open to candidates living in/working from other locations (in the US). In this scenario, we would expect the person hired generally be available during eastern time zone hours.
Community / Marketing Title: Customer Journey & Experience Insights Lead
EEO Employer Verbiage:
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Burlington, Vermont US
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.