Chill People & Culture Manager
Location: United States
Requisition Number: 714
Position Title: Chill People & Culture Manager
Chill ensures youth have the skills and experiences to become mindful, independent, and resilient individuals who are able to take on new challenges and welcome growth opportunities; to bridge the boardsport and outdoor opportunity gaps and foster a sense of belonging within a cool, authentic, and alternative culture; and to create inclusive space and meaningful experiences for all youth, while being mindful of race, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, and other intersecting identities.
We always seek to create inclusive space and meaningful experiences for youth with intersecting identities, of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, and more.
The People & Culture Manager provides human resources support to the organization reporting directly to the VP of Global Operations. Chill is growing rapidly worldwide and as a result, the organization’s human resources needs are becoming more complex and time intensive.
As part of the Burton Snowboards family, Chill benefits from the relationship with Burton’s People & Culture Team. Burton will continue to administer payroll and benefits on behalf of Chill and provide trainings and resources accessible to the Chill Team. This new role will manage Chill’s recruitment and hiring process with an understanding of payroll and benefits, global expansion, and employee engagement and performance.
This position is remote, year-round, salaried/exempt, 40 hours/week, starting immediately. Compensation will include an annualized salary of $50,000 to $53,000 dependent upon experience, and a generous benefits package . Candidates must live in the United States. West Coast candidates are encouraged to apply, with the expectation that if hired, they would work from 7 or 8 am to 3 or 4 pm PST on several days each week to overlap with eastern time hours.
Benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), life insurance (company paid), flex spending-, short- and long-term disability insurance (company paid), great parental benefits, 401k plan with company match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, casual work environment (your pad!), and many more...
- Hiring: Assist hiring managers in filling open positions; including posting positions and expanding recruitment channels to ensure candidates are encouraged to apply from Chill local communities and from non-formal education backgrounds for selected positions; pre-screen all candidates, schedule interviews, manage organization of job descriptions and request updates of job descriptions from team leaders.
- Onboarding: Assist hiring managers in providing a strong onboarding experience for new staff, including creation of organization-wide onboarding materials, customizing team-specific onboarding plans, and working individually with new staff to ensure they are set up for success.
- Employee Liaison: Act as the bridge between Chill staff and Burton’s People & Culture team, maintain and update employee records, document all performance issues, including matters between staff, vendors, partners, and others; generate and report on turnover and retention rate data using Burton HR platform; answer internal and external HR-related queries and requests.
- Employee Engagement & Performance Reviews: Oversee new employee experience software and vendor relationship and manage all surveys and data:
- Engagement: Launch employee engagement measures including and not limited to new staff surveys, provide results to leadership and staff; oversee annual Belonging & Inclusion survey, generate input from Chill DEI Team Lead and Chill senior leadership, recommend action steps and track accountability.
- Performance: Ensure timely performance reviews, monitor completion of reviews across staff, update staff and train managers on access to performance reports.
- Staff Training: Train all staff in Chill-specific HR practices, changes to Burton HR processes and any other HR topics as needed.
- Culture: Work closely with Senior Leadership Team on initiatives to foster and sustain inclusive, supportive, fun, and mission-focused culture across the organization.
- Administrative Duties: Organize company human resource-related documents, ensure HR policies updated and accurate, assist with editing and maintenance of Chill Employee Handbook; ensure timely background checks of all Chill staff and adult program participants and manage vendor relationship.
- Payroll & Benefits: Understand and administer rules and regulations around payroll and benefits to comply with governmental regulations across different states and countries; collaborate with finance team as needed for payroll and benefits.
- Program Support: Attend Program Team meetings as requested to assist program sites with any HR needs/training.
- Perform all other duties as assigned from time to time.
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and human resources experience with at least 5 years’ relevant professional experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility.
- Belief in Chill’s mission and demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Experience supporting hiring managers during different phases of the hiring process
- Highly organized and detail oriented; can prioritize objectives and manage high volume of work while being adaptive to a fluid environment when needed.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, meets deadlines and believes in setting and working towards goals.
- Ethically handle private data, including financial and personal data for staff and organizations.
- A team player and problem solver who enjoys helping colleagues and possesses a service-oriented mindset.
- Effective communicator with the ability to actively listen, interpret, and act on what’s being communicated.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including a strong understanding of data and surveys and successful experience with People & Culture software.
- Ability to work in a remote setting with significant time in front of a laptop.
- Adheres to all federal, regional, city and travel guidelines that may currently and/or in the future including vaccine mandates.
- Travel required including plane travel; travel approximately 4 times annually. Must adhere to all federal, regional, city and travel guidelines that currently and/or in the future include Covid-19 vaccine mandates. Ability to travel between US and Canada (passport and drivers’ license required).
Chill is committed to building an inclusive team, and strongly encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds and identities to apply. We will prioritize filling this position with qualified candidates who reflect our youth through lived experience as someone from a marginalized community or with diverse and intersecting identities, including race, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, and other intersecting identities.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed for this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required. All duties are subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. The above description is not considered a contract between the employee and the employer and does not change the at-will status of employees.
How to apply:
Please upload your resume and cover letter in one document to apply for this position. A cover letter is required for your application. Next steps may include an informal phone call to connect on details of the role/ask questions, and one or more formal interviews via Zoom.
Community / Marketing Title: Chill People & Culture Manager
EEO Employer Verbiage:
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.