Senior Director of Development
Location: United States
Requisition Number: 822
Position Title: Chill Director of Development
Chill inspires youth to overcome challenges through boardsports. We ensure youth have the skills and experiences to become mindful, independent, and resilient individuals who welcome growth opportunities in fun environments. We work to make the boardsport and outdoor sports community more diverse, inclusive and equitable, and to foster a sense of belonging among all Chill participants.
We are committed to building and supporting an inclusive team, and we strongly believe that diversity and inclusion are critical for fulfilling our mission. We will prioritize filling this leadership position with qualified candidates who reflect our youth with diverse and intersecting identities, including and not limited to race, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion and socio-economic background
The Senior Director of Development role at Chill presents an exciting opportunity for a passionate development leader to join a dynamic nonprofit and help fuel a new level of growth reflecting additional strategic priorities. You will work closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors, and lead the team responsible for raising Chill’s current $3M annual fundraising goal. You will drive the creation and execution of a multi-year fundraising strategy that will result in significant and sustained growth. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will help shape organizational strategy and engage in thought leadership, including the advancement of Chill’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals. Please note that while experience with boardsports is a plus, it is not a requirement for this position; qualified candidates with a curiosity to learn about sports new to them are also encouraged to apply.
This position is year-round, salaried/exempt, 40 hours/week, starting immediately. Compensation will include an annualized salary dependent upon experience, and a generous benefits package. Candidates must live in the United States and are required to live in the Northeast, Denver and the greater Denver area, or the West Coast.
Benefits package includes health insurance (medical, dental and vision), company paid life insurance, flex spending, company paid short- and long-term disability insurance, parental benefits, access to an employee assistance program, 401k plan with Burton match, and paid-time-off. Other perks include a discounted season pass, product discounts, free demo equipment, ride days, a casual work environment and more.
What You Get to Do:
Leadership & Strategic Management
- Oversee all aspects of Chill’s Development function in pursuit of $3M annual fundraising goal, and significantly larger goals in future years.
- Create multi-year development strategy and oversee execution of annual plans resulting in significant, sustained growth in revenue across all funding categories, including major donors, individuals, corporations, foundations, government, and events.
- Lead team of 5 and directly manage 3 (Senior Director of Individual and Foundation Giving, Events Manager, and Development Database Manager) including hiring, training, coaching, inspiring, developing, evaluating and retaining a fully remote staff across multiple time zones.
- Oversee launch and growth of fundraising activities to support Chill programs in Europe, to be led by Europe-based staff.
- Collaborate closely with Chill Board of Directors, and Development Committee, to maximize Board’s engagement in fundraising; work with Board members to identify and connect with new donors.
- Refine key performance metrics and work with Development Database Manager to produce regular reports for CEO and Board of Directors.
- Provide organizational leadership and shape organizational strategy and as a member of Chill’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Lead the Development team’s pursuit of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals.
- In partnership with the Senior Director of Individual and Foundation Giving, support the creation of a strategy to expand Chill’s major gifts portfolio and increase giving levels by engaging new and existing donors, with a focus on five- and six-figure commitments.
- Manage a select portfolio of donors and prospects including regular face-to-face solicitations and other direct engagement; support the CEO’s engagement with high profile donors.
- In collaboration with Senior Director of Individual and Foundation Giving, envision, launch and lead a capital campaign to fund the expansion of Chill Evolution.
- Support efforts of the Senior Director of Individual and Foundation Giving to launch a planned giving program.
Institutional Funders & Events
- Seek out and spearhead strategic partnerships with new institutional funder prospects, with a focus on securing multi-year commitments.
- Support the efforts of the Senior Director of Individual and Foundation Giving, the Grants Manager and the Events Manager to secure funding from Foundation, Corporate and Government funders.
- Ensure the success of fundraising events throughout the year, led by Events Manager and Events Coordinator.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
The successful candidate will possess an entrepreneurial drive, growth mindset, and passion for the mission of the Chill Foundation. They will bring a global perspective and a demonstrated ability to lead a fundraising team capable of producing significant sustained growth.
Specific requirements include:
- 8+ years of nonprofit development experience with progressive levels of responsibility, including broad knowledge of all functional areas of fundraising (major, planned, and annual giving; corporate and foundation giving; government contracts; stewardship; operations) and leadership in a major capital campaign; applicable private sector experience is welcome as a complement to nonprofit fundraising experience.
- Proven track record leading fundraising function for a growth-oriented nonprofit, meeting ambitious fundraising goals from a wide variety of sources, and closing five- and six-figure gifts. Global nonprofit experience preferred.
- Experience creating and executing multi-year development strategies, resulting in significant sustained growth of fundraised dollars.
- Exceptional management skills and successful experience building and leading a high performing fundraising team.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in the development function.
- Demonstrated success in major gift solicitation ($10,000+). Highly motivated and eager to connect with new and existing donors on a personal level and to solicit gifts.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, and relationship building skills with an ability to inspire and motivate others.
- Exceptional program administration and management skills, including partnership cultivation, budget development/management, data sourcing/analysis, stakeholder communications, and mastery of CRM. Experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, transparency, and accountability in all actions.
- Snowboard, skateboard, surf, and/or stand-up paddleboard experience or a willingness to learn a plus.
- Work in a remote setting with 95% of time when not traveling in front of a computer.
- Proof of full Covid-19 vaccination.
- This position is projected to require travel at least 12 times a year with multi-day overnights.
- Must have a current US passport and current driver’s license.
- Must have the ability to travel internationally.
- Must adhere to all country, regional and city travel guidelines that may at this time or in the future require Covid-19 testing and quarantining.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed for this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required. All duties are subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. The above description is not considered a contract between the employee and the employer and does not change the at-will status of employees.
How to apply:
Please upload your resume and cover letter in one document to apply for this position. A cover letter is required for your application.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Director of Development
EEO Employer Verbiage:
At Burton, we are a purpose-led brand rooted in snowboarding and the outdoors. We fight for the future of our people, planet, and sport. We aim to maximize our positive social impact and minimize our negative environmental impact while delivering high-quality performance products.
As a global leader in snowboarding, we’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion for the long-term health of our company, sport, and community. Through these efforts, we aim to make snowboarding and the outdoors accessible to all.
CountryEEOText_Description: The Burton community believes in respect for all people and the planet. We embrace and strive for a community that values differences and stands for equality and the fight to get there. Regardless of how you identify, how the world sees you, or how you play outside, please feel welcome to apply and join our community.